You did it! You finally got sick of the clutter and chaos in your home. You got rid of the clothes that were too big and too small. You gathered a bunch of toys when your children weren’t looking. You purged a ton of books. You can’t wait to get this stuff out of your house!
Should you sell it or give it away?
You have no time to create an ad on Craigslist, list your item on eBay, or create a post in your local online sales group. Besides, you know the blessings (and tax write off) you can receive from seeking out ways to be charitable. You decide you’re going to pack up your things in boxes and bags and donate them to your local charity. But then this happens…
Argh! This sign on the door! You should’ve called ahead! Now you have these boxes and bags sitting in your back seat or trunk. You drive across town to the next place and…same thing. They aren’t accepting donations for three weeks.
It’s time! Time for you to STOP WASTING GAS & SHIP YOUR CHARITABLE DONATIONS FOR FREE! Sign up for the Give Back Box today! Send your items to the nearest participating Goodwill. It’s so easy!
Here’s what you will need:
- Find a sturdy box.
2. Go to www.givebackbox.com and sign-up (first time users) or log-in.
3. Select the yellow box at the top of the screen that says, “PRINT FREE SHIPPING LABEL”. This will take you to the following screen:
4. Fill in your personal information. Make sure you include your e-mail address if you want to use this shipment as a tax deductible donation. The hardest part of this step was deciding if I wanted the box to be picked up at my house, stand in line at the Post Office, or have my husband bring it to work where the Post Office picks up shipments daily. We had my husband bring it to work. If you want to schedule a pick up, make sure to select this now.
5. It’s time to actually print your label. You will need a printer, and printer paper or self-adhesive shipping labels to do this. If you use printer paper, you can fold the paper in half and tape it to the box. Or, cut out the shipping label and apply using packing tape.
When my printing prompt came up, it said I needed two sheets of paper.
If this happens to you, change this option under “Pages”. Put “1 – 1” in dialog box and the issue is fixed.
6. Decide if you want to use this for a tax deduction or simply slap on the label, tape up the box, and send it! If you decide that you could use the tax deduction this year, go to “PACKAGES” at the top of the screen and click on the tracking number.
You have three choices on this screen:
- If you haven’t printed your shipping label yet, you can do so now.
- Track your shipment.
- Create your itemized tax deduction receipt
Once Goodwill receives your shipment, they will e-mail you a receipt for your donation.
Here is a sample of itemizing your donation:
You determine the fair market value of each product.
Make sure you save this when you are finished!
7. Seal up your box and ship it!
You’re finished. Your home feels lighter. You are helping someone in need. You are saving gas and time. You’re practicing TWO important foundations for successful transformation: Go on a #ClutterDiet and Seek out Ways to be Charitable.
I can tell you from personal experience that this was very refreshing and I can’t wait to get the next box ready to ship. Please let me know if you have any questions, or tell me how you like this program, in the comments below.
Tips and Tricks:
If you have breakable items (like photo frames), use your donated clothing to wrap the items securely.
If you have items that have sharp edges or an unusual shape, wrap the items securely in your donated clothing.
For size and weight restrictions, click here.
For a list of acceptable items and more, click here.